Well before the event contact all speakers / panellists to remind them of their allotted time slot and that they need to keep to it!
- On the day itself, speak to all the speakers/panellists, check they are happy and remind them of their allotted time.
- At the start, announce to attendees that the speakers/panellists will have a certain time allocated to them and that you will be keeping time throughout.
- Use visual time warnings to show speakers how much time they have left. Cards marked up with 3 minutes, 1 minute, 60 seconds or amber and red cards are often used.
- Other techniques include a countdown clock placed in front of speakers or audio warnings such as tapping on a glass.
- If you are chairing a panel or presentation where you are seated behind the speaker, you can nominate a time keeper in the audience to keep track of time and give any visual/ verbal warnings.
- If the speaker continues after their allocated time, give them a minute or two more to conclude their session.
- After a couple of minutes wait for a natural break and interject asking them to wrap up.